Thursday, March 31, 2011

Earthquake

Author's Note: I am assigned a new goal of posting a non-fiction response every three days.  I decided to do mine on the Japan earthquake, not the tsunami, since it was something that I can relate to.  In this response, I am working on reducing my be-verbs: is, am, are, was, were, be, been, being, by 30%.  In order to do that, I replace be-verbs with active verbs.  I also am trying to include some syntactic devices.  Please give me comments and feedback on this response. 

March 11, 2011 a devastating 8.9 earthquake shook Japan triggering a tsunami.  Buildings rocked and crumbled, furniture toppled down, and people ran of fright.  Japan remains as a disaster zone with thousands of lives lost.  The earthquake became the largest recorded earthquake in Japan's history.  The earthquake left horrible result with ruined shelters, ruined belongings, and ruined lives.  

I felt earthquakes various times in Riverside, California, but I was fortunate that nothing as severe as Japan's happened.  Some books, papers, and little things fell, but luckily nothing was destroyed.  At times, we slept through some quakes or didn't panic at all.  Some places near Riverside had experienced worse where buildings and roads shook until they turned to debris. 

Earthquakes are frightening even if it is not an 8.9 magnitude earthquake.  People living in earthquake zones obtain a risk of losing homes, losing precious items, and losing loved ones.  Though it may be interesting to watch from here, just think about what was left and what was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment