Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Is the Golden Touch really a gift?

Author's Note: I am assigned a book response every third day.  Currently I am reading The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.  The response is on the theme of taking advantage.  I am trying to reduce my be-verbs: is, am, are, was, were, be, been, being, by 30%. I will achieve that goals by replacing them with active verbs.  I try to include syntactic devices throughout my response.  Please leave me comments and feedback on this response. 

After crash landing in Omaha, Jason, Piper, and Leo came across King Midas' mansion.  Inside the three of them met King Midas who has power to turn anything to pure gold.  His house shined of golden furniture and his wall lined with golden statues.  Everything King Midas owned was gold and could only be reversed by running water.  He easily took advantage of his golden touch by turning his house, workers, and daughter to gold.  With surplus of gold, he sold it for millions of dollars, and he never reversed golden statues of people.  Having the greater benefit isn't right especially when using it in a sinful way. 

Though he can have all of the riches in the world, is it truly a gift to turn everything he touches to solid gold?  Does he take advantage of his power and people?  Do you take advantage of what you have?

Inspirational quote

"No mother would ever willingly sacrifice her sons for territorial gain, for economic advantage, for ideology." ~ Ronald Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment